Thursday, October 30, 2008

On The Road in the City of Big Shoulders

Jack Kerouac's famous novel which has influenced and inspired so many since it was written has graced Chicago with its presence. Kerouac wrote the "On the Road" on a single scroll 50 years ago. I was enlightened to the tour when the manuscript came to the Denver Public Library in 2007. I read about it on my friend's blog: Denver Dirtbagger his personal account of the book is a far better tale than mine ever could be. The novel also gets a nod in his latest article for the Mountain Gazette The Lost Art of Road Tripping. After reading The Lost Art of Road Tripping I was reminded that Columbia College was bringing the scroll to the Chicago Center for Book & Paper Arts. On my lunch hour that day I took a nice long walk to find the building and have a see for myself. Admittedly, the spur of the moment escapade made a powerful experience for myself. I have never read "On The Road", meaning to in college I purchased Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent instead. Still I was blown away by the exhibit. It also came to my attention that there was a unique opportunity in front of me, the ability to read his first non-edited lines. I was able to read until Alan Ginsberg appears before I had to go back to work. The rest of the day was filled with awe. The quintessential road trip book is a few blocks away from where the Mother Road begins. Check it out its at Columbia College until November 30.
The scroll on display is about 50 feet long and under glass. Sorry no photography is allowed.

1 comment:

Brendan said...

How awesome is it seeing that thing?