Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Build a Gazebo?....Yeah I can do that.

I was once told a story by a friend's dad that started out "So I was a professional truck driver for 20 years one summer." It has gotten out that I know my way around power tools and therefore I became a professional carpenter for 20 years one year in August. This project was requested by my Grandmother who lives in a small town off I-80 named Marseilles (pronounced phonetically). The town is an hours drive from Chicago and has only one hardware store, closed on Sunday. The nearest big box, Menards, is 30min away clearly this is going to complicate things. A two weekend gig is now a month long job. However despite all the challenges a month worth of quality time with grandma was well worth it. This was the largest project I have completed and I am pretty darn proud of how it turned out.

Of course it had to be placed on the least level spot on the property. Nine holes to be dug and the same number of concrete bags to mix.

With no help on framing day I quickly realized I needed a third hand and with a quick look in the garage eureka! better than human hands to hold it level.

2x6's are heavy when they are 12' long and treated. The 16 year old Explorer was loaded down to the max and then some. Definitely the most I have ever hauled.
Put 'yer dancin' shoes on cause thats one fine platform. I should have taken a picture of the bubble level.
Gazebo time. This is the whole reason for the deck. Luckily it was kit and I just had to put the jigsaw puzzle together. Still it took some 12 hours.
I got some needed help from my Dad when it came time for the roof. I had help with the concrete stage at the beginning too from Dad and my Uncle Eddie.
I was told that the whole project was for a tea party, well any thing worth dooin' is worth dooin' right.It looks pretty good from the street too.
A special thanks to my sister for the pictures.

No comments: