Monday, March 10, 2008

Orion is Upside Down

So I've been on the other side of the world since the 22nd of Feb. About a year ago A girl that I had met while living in Florida and working for Disney shot me an e-mail telling me she was getting married. Our friendship is rooted in my passion for Chicago and hers for her home of New Zealand. She came to visit me in Chicago and by the time I had the cash to visit her in NZ she had moved to London. I traveled to London instead and thus began my travels abroad. So when I heard she was getting hitched in Auckland I took some time off work. I also found out that a cousin of mine was stationed near Sydney. The perfect storm for a down under vacation. My flight took me to Sydney first to enjoy the sites of the Australian metropolis and then to the sleepy surf town that my cousin and her family resides. I then flew to Auckland, NZ for the wedding which included a night boat cruise in the Auckland harbor. Once the wedding was over the suit went in the mail and I donned a backpack and went to the picturesque Bay of Islands. The town was called Paihia and I got out on the water again and took a few day-hikes through some mangrove forest. The next tier was back in Auckland for some museum action waiting for the weather to turn in Rotorua. Rotorua is in an area that is called the Bay of Plenty because you can plant anything and it will grow like its on speed. Here you will find a California Redwood forest that had the best mountainbiking I've ever seen. It is also an active volcanic region with natural hot spring pools and boiling mud pits. Rotorua was the highlight of the trip. Good people, great bicycle culture with an excellent visitor's center.


Sydney at Night

Newcastle, Australia
Major coal export industry. There were always ships like these waiting to get loaded.


The surfing side of Newcastle

I thought this was perfect. Everyone has to purchase a window sticker to register their car so the city printed a friendly reminder so the driver could see.

Auckland, New Zealand at night. Pic was taken from a boat so its not perfect.


Hole in the Rock, this is an icon of the Bay of Islands


Hiking though the mangrove forest

Another iconic image of New Zealand, a blooming fern.

Rotorua from the MTB trail. The best single track I've ever been on.


This town has their priorities straight. Notice the void of parking meter on the rack side.

Gearing up for my 22 hour 3 plane journey home.

1 comment:

Nick Bohnenkamp said...

Sounds like you had a bomber trip Tommy. The mountain biking part is what makes me extremely jealous.