Monday, April 23, 2012

April 22- Alderman James Cappleman's 46th Ward Lincoln Park Criterium

Someone caught my Grrr Face.
Titled Grrr by: ewwhite
Race Day comes again.  This time at Montrose Beach.  The first races I attended were organized by my team and this race was set up by the racers at xXx-Athletico.  They are a pretty large team.  I think I see at least one of them every day on the lakefront path.  Complete with announcers and a pace car it was apparent this race was not a training or intro to racing race.  I planned to get to the event early to ride the course before it was being raced.  I knew the races were back to back and I would have no time to scope it out before my start time.  However with freezing temps I figured any knowledge I would have gained would not have benefited cold bones.  The time was better spent eating and keeping warm.  With a lousy warmup ride I got to the course, registered and found the new Half Acre Team tent waiting for me.  I tossed my messenger bag inside ditched my water bottles and started riding around to keep loose.  I had invited a cheering section consisting of a half a dozen or so relatives that gladly froze while rooting on Half Acre racers.


View xXx Lincoln Park Criterium in a larger map
 
 Team captain, Mike A., tipped me to position myself away from the wind at certain spots and it helped tenfold throughout the race.  The course contained a hairpin turn that was at the bottom of a hill.  After the turn my climb slowed me down a few positions but was easily regained positioning myself with riders between me and the crosswind.  The tip was the difference maker that kept me in contention for the half hour.  Surprisingly, the pace was extremely manageable and had I not taken the lead earlier in the race I might have placed higher but I'm pretty geeked with a 7th place finish.

No comments: